In this Dell UltraSharp U2412M review, we will look into its features, Pros and Cons. So you will be able to determine if it is the best for you.
Dell U2412M is a 24-inch widescreen E-IPS panel LED-lit monitor. If what you are looking for is a high performing monitor for photo editing and home use. That will not cost you much money for its features and quality, then this monitor is one of the best for you. Because it was designed to offer great features with performance at an affordable price.
It offers a lot of user-friendly and on-screen display (OSD) features. It uses an in-built technology that allows it to provide very brilliant view of images. It also offers amazing adjustable options that is intended to suit your choice of view.
What is in it for you
Lets see what this monitor has to offer you personally below. To determine if it is the best for you. Going further on this page, we will also look at what you won’t like about it.
It offers you a great performance no matter how you view its screen. Because with it you get to enjoy a widescreen performance anyway you want it. Which helps to provide enough view for you while working or entertaining yourself with it. And with its 24-inch screen, 16:10 aspect ratio, LED backlight, and an IPS panel technology, it provides you with a brilliant view. With an amazing adjustability to suit any style you want. Which helps you to position it anyway you want for your comfort and viewing experience.
- With this monitor, you get to enjoy the look of your graphics. Because it will be clearly outstanding on its vast 24-inch screen. And coupled with its LED-backlit screen that features a crystal-clear HD resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels on a 16:10 widescreen aspect ratio, you will not loose any screen area on it. Even if your customized applications support a different resolution.
- You get to experience the power of an IPS panel technology with it. That features a wide viewing with a high quality color presentation for a peerless viewing experience. Which helps it to deliver an unmatched viewing experience whether you are using it for work or for play.
- You also get to enjoy an amazing range of rich, colorful, dramatic and accurate colors. Due to the power of its IPS panel technology that makes it deliver a unique colorful character. Its IPS panel technology also helps it to ensure you get color consistency across its broad range of viewing angles. So your photos on display look the same without color distortions anyway you view its screen.
This monitor offers you the ultimate in customization and flexibility. Because you can adjust it anyway you like to suit your workspace. Moreover it is tailored to suit your viewing preferences. And it can be viewed from almost any position with its wide viewing angle. Which helps especially when you need to show your work to a client or to a colleague viewing it from a different position. Because colors and contrast on it will still be the same at any position you view its screen.
- You can position this monitor anyway you want for maximum flexibility. Because it comes with comfort-enabling features such as tilt, rotate and swivel options. And because of its highly flexible nature, you can pick the view that works best for you with an almost unlimited range of tilt, pivot, swivel and height adjustments. So you can adjust it to face you anyway you want. Moreover its IPS panel technology helps to ensure you still get a great view from almost any angle you position it. `
You can easily adjust its height by raising or lowering it to suit your personal style and workspace. With its 4.5-inch range of height adjustability. So that you can raise or lower it anyway and anytime you want. For the best picture display you require for yourself.
- It is easily customizable. With it, you can change the text, brightness, color temperature and energy usage settings, with a simple touch of a button. And it helps you to conserve energy with its eco-designed arsenic-free and mercury-free panel.
- You can make colors of your photos on it warmer or cooler to suit your preference with its color temperature slider. While a text mode that comes with it automatically adjusts its screen brightness to 150 nits. Which is the ideal brightness level for reading text. Which helps for a supreme adaptability with it.
- Connectivity options on it are highly versatile. Because you can easily connect your mouse, keyboard, camera and other peripherals through the inputs provided with it. Which includes a DVI, DisplayPort and USB ports that deliver outstanding image quality when you are viewing HD contents. It helps for easy connection with your personal computer and other video sources as well.
- Its high dynamic contrast ratio of 2million:1 helps for a blur-free viewing experience. While its 8ms gray-to-gray response time with overdrive function helps for a sharp, crisp and ghost-free images on its screen. Making your pictures look very sharp with crisp and clear contrasting views.
- It comes with unique power management features. There is a PowerNap power management function in it that allows you to easily control its brightness level. And to put it in sleep mode to conserve power and energy. A Dynamic dimming software that comes with it automatically dims onscreen brightness when pictures on display are overly bright or white. And you can activate the energy usage bar that comes with it to check its energy consumption rate. All of which helps you to easily manage its power and energy consumption very effectively. Which in turn helps you to save power and cost of energy bills overtime.
It is designed with responsible construction in mind. Because it was made with environmentally responsible materials. Such as an arsenic-free and a mercury-free LED panel. With halogen-free laminates in its circuit boards designed to make it to consume less energy than a regular monitor.
- It was designed with the environment in mind. Because it complies with world environmental standards. It meets EPEAT Gold, ENERGY STAR 5.1, and TCO Certified display standards. And it is also CEL and CECP compliant. Which helps if you are energy conscious.
- You are protected by Dell’s unique premium panel guarantee with the purchase of this monitor. Because you get a 100% replacement of this monitor if any bright pixel is found in it. Which is valid within the warranty period provided under Dell’s premium panel guarantee. It helps so you get peace of mind and be rest assured that your purchase of this monitor is backed by a replacement guarantee.
Dell U2412M is ideal for photo editing, gaming and for general office and home use.
Click here to see its current price and more of what it has to offer you.
What this YouTube video of this monitor below;
Dell UltraSharp U2412M specs (manufacturer specifications)
Still on Dell UltraSharp U2412M review, lets see its spec below to compare it with Dell U2410 that is similar to it.
Hint: Click on the next button below the table to see more spec features
Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Price: About $260
|Black & Silver|
Screen type (Matte or Glossy)
Matte/Anti-glare with 3H hard coating.
|Enhanced CCFL backlight
Pixel pitch (Dot pitch)
|1920 x 1200|
|1920 x 1200
|Amazon rating |
|21.9 x20.2 x7.1 |
17 pounds/ 19.3 pounds
|25.4 x 18.2 x 9.3
24.5 pounds/24.6 pounds
|Color Gamut |
74.3% Adobe RGB.
96% Adobe RGB
|Bit depth (Color bits)|
|6-bit + A-FRC (simulated 8-bit)|
16.7 million colors
|8 bits with 10-bit internal color processing
16.7 million colors from a palette of 1.07 billion colors
|Response time (Milli-seconds)||8ms gray-to-gray||6ms Gray-to-gray|
|Connectivity & inputs options||1 x DVI-D (with HDCP)|
1 x Displayport
1 x D-sub (VGA)
4 x USB 2.0 ports
|2 x DVI (with HDCP)
1 x HDMI
1 x Displayport
1 x D-sub (VGA)
4 x USB 2.0 ports
|Ergonomics & Adjustment options||-21° to + 4° Tilt|
+/- 45° Swivel
115mm height adjustment
|VESA compliant?||Yes (100 x 100mm)||Yes|
|Viewing angles (Horizontal/vertical in degrees)||178°/178°||178°/178°|
|Contrast ratio||1000:1 static|
|Brightness (in Candelas per meter squared)||300 cd/m2||400 cd/m2|
|Warranty||3 years limited warranty||3 years limited warranty|
|Other features and fine details||Among the top 3 on two best sellers Category on Amazon|
Integrated cable management system
compatible with Window 7
security lock slot provided (cable lock sold separately)
|9-in-one memory card reader included
Premier Color technology
Picture-in-picture (PiP) & Picture-by-picture (PbP) function
Compatible with Window 7
Security lock slot provided
|Full Review||You are on the review page of this product||Our Review of this product is Coming Soon. Meanwhile click here to read user's review of this product|
|More details||Click here for more information and details of how to get this product with huge discount||Click here for more information and details of how to get this product|
What we did’t like about it
Still on this Dell U2412M review, lets see some of the things you might not like about it below;
- Input connections
It is a shame that Dell did away with an HDMI interface in this monitor. Despite the fact that it is as widely used as the DisplayPort that was included with it. There is also no composite and component connections in this model unlike the U2410 model that is similar to it. However the absence of a composite and component connections is not missed much. Because it is not as widely used as the other most popular input connections.
A DisplayPort cable was not included in its package despite the fact that a DisplayPort connection is available in it. You will have to purchase one yourself if you need it. Also not included in this model is a 9-in-1 card reader unlike what is obtainable in the U2410. Which is a bit of a shame because evidently it is a cost cutting measure to keep production and retail cost down.
More features like an ambient light sensor, integrated speakers etc does not exist in this monitor. But it is compatible with Dell’s sound bar. Which you can purchase as an added accessory if you want to add speakers to it.
- Color accuracy
Color accuracy of this monitor at default factory settings is mediocre at an average DeltaE (dE) of 3.2. And this DeltaE value of 3.2 even ranges up to a maximum of 6.3. Which is quite disappointing for color accuracy at default factory settings. Especially when you consider the fact that not everybody that will be purchasing this monitor will have access to a hardware calibration tool (colorimeter). So it is important to be aware of how a display will perform out of the box in terms of color accuracy. And if it will improve significantly with some basic manual adjustments. It is advised that you calibrate this monitor properly for optimum performance in terms of color accuracy. Calibrating it improved its colors significantly. So do it as soon as you purchase it.
- Dynamic contrast ratio
The dynamic contrast ratio (DCR) function in this monitor does not seem to work at all. It just sounds like a marketing gimmick with the way Dell mentioned it in this monitor. However it is something that is not peculiar about this monitor. Because it is very common among most monitors we’ve seen. The DCR function of most monitors always seems not to work at all.
Dynamic contrast ratios are meant to control the backlight of a display automatically depending on what is shown on the screen. Meaning DCR increases backlight automatically when bright images are shown. And decreases backlight when dark images are shown.
But a test of the dynamic contrast ratio carried out on this monitor shows that the DCR function didn’t seem to work at all. Because there was no noticeable change in backlight intensity when images of different black and white levels were changed on its screen. Even when changes between an almost completely black image to an almost completely white image were made on its screen, there was no noticeable backlight change. Meaning it was just a marketing gimmick. Because it doesn’t seem to work at all.
However it is not an issue that affects its overall performance. Just that it would have added more function. usefulness, and overall performance to it. Many consider it an added bonus to a monitors function.
Click here to learn more.
Pros and Cons
- It is affordable compare to other monitors for photo editing in its category.
- It offers excellent ergonomic design and support.
- It comes with OSD features that are easy to navigate.
- It is portable and light, weighing only 17 pounds.
- It does not have an HDMI input connection.
- It is not as high performing as other for photo editing and home use available in the market.
- It does not offer superior viewing angles.
- It only covers about 75% of Adobe RGB color space.
Click here to see what others are saying about it
Other Useful features
Our Dell U2412M review will continue in this section with more of its features below;
- Fully customizable features
Dell U2412M in our review today offers you fully customizable features. The customizable options that come with it allows you to choose the settings you prefer for your desktop monitor. These settings includes color, brightness, text, resolution, temperature, viewing angles etc. among other options. With this and many more customizable features, you can easily change the energy usage settings of this monitor. And you can change these settings with just a single touch of a button. Moreover the energy usage control settings enables you to conserve energy with it.
It is designed to offer maximum flexibility for all needs. You need a monitor with enhanced flexibility options that will allow you to choose the view that actually works best for you. And that is what this monitor offers. Due to its design that offers an unlimited range of swivel, pivot, tilt, and height adjustment options. Moreover its flexible nature makes it more user-friendly and enjoyable to work with. With this and many more that comes with it, you will certainly have a good experience using this monitor for watching movies, playing games, and editing photos or texts.
- Wide range of video connectivity options
It is designed to offer a wide range of video connectivity options. That will make it easy to connect it with your personal computer and other video sources. The available video connections include a DisplayPort, D-sub (VGA), and a DVI. And four USB 2.0 ports to connect to your camera, gadgets and other peripherals.
Although the lack of an HDMI input is quite disappointing, the three we just mentioned above is enough to allow you connect this monitor to your PC and other video sources. Moreover it does provide these connectivity options in a way that is very simple and easy to use for a maximum user-friendly experience.
- Power management/ Energy saving options
This monitor is perfect for you if you are energy conscious. Because it comes with a reliable energy usage meter that is located at the top right hand corner of its OSD. This energy meter is designed to gauge how much power it has consumed since it was turned on. In addition, it comes with an effective Energy Smart mode that is designed to lower its brightness settings. This feature relies on the amount of incoming ambient light to lower the monitor’s brightness level. So as to save energy and cost of power consumption.
There is also a PowerNap function in it that is used to control its brightness. The PowerNap function also allows you to easily put this monitor in sleep mode to save you more energy. There is also a dynamic dimming software that comes with it. That automatically dims the brightness on the screen when the displayed images are overly white or bright.
- Environmentally friendly construction
It features a responsible construction. Because it is designed with environmental conservation in mind. In particular, this monitor is designed with environmentally friendly materials that include a mercury-free LED panel, arsenic-free and halogen-free laminates. These materials are in the monitor’s circuit boards. They are designed to help the monitor consume less energy compared to other conventional monitors available in the market.
- Supreme adaptability
It is designed to offer you supreme adaptability. This superior level of adaptability enhances its user friendliness and work experience. Because it comes with control options that allow you to easily make color and temperature changes. You can make the colors cooler and adjust it to warmer temperatures to suit your preference. It comes with a color temperature slider that allows you to change easily the color temperature of this monitor. In addition, this monitor comes with a text mode that is designed to automatically adjust its screen brightness to a level that is ideal for reading texts.
Our Dell UltraSharp U2412M review here has shown that it is a 24-inch screen LED-lit high performing monitor for photo editing and home use. That is suitable for both home and office use. With its flexible and customizable features, you are bound to enjoy every aspect of your desktop applications when using this monitor.
Whether you are simply watching movies, playing games, editing texts or photos. Or working on your desktop with it, this widescreen LCD monitor is designed to offer you one of the best user experience in computer monitors. The beauty of this monitor is that you can easily adjust it to suit your office desk or workspace.
With its wide range of viewing options, Dell U2412M has been specifically tailored to give you an unmatched viewing experience. You can comfortably view its screen from almost any angle. It was also designed with environmental preservation in mind. Which helps if you are energy conscious. It is one of the best monitor for photo editing and home use because it is ideal for your home or office.
Where to buy it
Click here to see deals and price discounts available for it.